Centre for Environmental Law, Advocacy and Research (CELAR)
The Centre for Environmental Law, Advocacy and Research (CELAR), the first of its kind in North-East India, is devoted to strengthening and contributing to the jurisprudence on environmental law, under the auspices of National Law University and Judicial Academy, Assam. CELAR endeavours to be a torchbearer of NLUJAA’s mission to translate legal knowledge and skills into an instrument that addresses various environmental concerns of the country and especially the North-Eastern region of India.
The main objectives of CELAR can be elucidated as follows:
- Providing students with hands-on advocacy experience and direct exposure to the issues to inspire and educate them.
- Strengthen access to justice by undertaking high-quality multi-disciplinary research.
- Hold conferences, workshops and seminars on current environmental legal issues to further disseminate and encourage an exchange of ideas.
- Advocate for reforms in environmental law through scientifically sound legislative proposals.
- Organize training programmes for civil servants, law enforcement agencies, non-governmental organisations, and media professionals to improve their legal capacity on environmental laws and policy.
- Publish environmental law publications and bulletins regularly.
In furtherance of the last objective, 'Lex Terra' is an initiative undertaken by CELAR. Through Lex Terra, we strive to provide a voice to various aspects of the environment, published quarterly, to create a community of environmentally conscious individuals from the legal and non-legal fraternity. Each issue of Lex Terra features important environmental news from across the world and from within the nation. This bulletin is meticulously compiled by CELAR members and dedicated enviro-legal enthusiasts.
Social Media Team